Elizabeth Park Schools staff includes a team of highly skilled literacy educators.
Literacy is a key focus area in all classes.
Staff, students and families work together to ensure the continual development of literacy outcomes for all students.
At Elizabeth Park Schools our strategic plan states three main focus areas for literacy:
- Whole school implementation of the Accelerated Literacy teaching pedagogy to improve literacy outcomes for all students
- Students to achieve literacy benchmarks and show continual growth
- Specific teaching and learning focus on the different written text types and their purpose in literate contexts
- A Structured literacy block timetable with additional trained adult support in each class.
- Additional 1:1 support for identified NEP (Negotiated Educational Plan) students
- All students being taught using the Accelerated Literacy teaching pedagogy
- Intensive literacy concept focus for students in the early years
- Maintaining and replenishing a highly resourced Library
- Regular collection and analysis of student achievement data to inform teaching practice
- Allocation of a Literacy Key Teacher and Early Years Mentor to support literacy programs
- Regular professional development for teachers in Accelerated Literacy and other Literacy pedagogies
- Opportunities for teachers to complete higher qualifications in Accelerated Literacy (eg. Accreditation and the Graduate Certificate)
- Teacher observation and feedback program for individual teacher development in Accelerated Literacy
- Regular staff planning sessions linking to the SACSA Framework
- Literacy Student Achievement Awards - presented fortnightly at whole-school assemblies
- Reading Superstar Program An annual award presentation acknowledging student achievements and growth in literacy. This program is funded by various external sponsors - ranging from members of the local community, businesses, and government agencies. Three students from each class are awarded with a book of their choice at a special presentation held at the conclusion of the school year
- Accelerated Literacy Open Classrooms Day - educators from other schools in the district are invited to observe demonstrations of Accelerated Literacy in action at Elizabeth Park Schools
- Peer Reading Support Program - a trained group of upper primary students support junior primary students in their daily reading program