Elizabeth Park Schools staff includes a team of highly skilled literacy educators.
Literacy is a key focus area in all classes.
Staff, students and families work together to ensure the continual development of literacy outcomes for all students.
At Elizabeth Park Schools our strategic plan states three main focus areas for literacy:
- Whole school implementation of the Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar program
- Students to achieve literacy benchmarks and show continual growth
- Specific teaching and learning focus on spelling rules and applying these in reading and writing lessons
- A whole school scope and sequence outlining key literacy skills to be taught in each year level
- Additional 1:1 support for identified NEP (Negotiated Educational Plan) students
- Junior Primary students engaging in daily ‘Phonics Phive’ program and Upper Primary students engaging in daily ‘Daily Five’ activities
- Jolly Phonics program used to teach Junior Primary students Phonics knowledge
- Maintaining and replenishing a highly resourced Library
- Regular collection and analysis of student achievement data to inform teaching practice
- Allocation of a Literacy Key Teacher and Spelling Intervention teacher to support literacy programs
- Regular professional development for teachers in Jolly Phonics and Jolly Grammar and other Literacy pedagogies
- Peer and Leadership observations of teachers Literacy program
- Regular staff planning sessions linking to the Australian Curriculum
- Literacy Student Achievement Awards - presented fortnightly at whole-school assemblies
- Reading Superstar Program- an annual award presentation acknowledging student achievements and growth in literacy. This program is funded by various external sponsors - ranging from members of the local community, businesses, and government agencies. Three students from each class are awarded with a book of their choice at a special presentation held at the conclusion of the school year